[WestNileNet] Why Eagles fly and Turkeys are eaten
A C
2009-11-24 14:29:02 UTC
(I’ve never been able to identify an author for this story, and have taken
the liberty to modify it over the years.)

Once upon a time in the long, long ago the Eagle and the Turkey were very
good friends. Everywhere they went these friends went together. It was not
uncommon for people to look up and see the Eagle and the Turkey flying side
by side through the air.

One day while flying, the Turkey said to the Eagle: “Let’s drop down and get
a bite to eat. My stomach is growling.” “Sounds like a good idea to me,”
replied the Eagle. So the two birds glided down to earth, saw several
animals eating, and decided to join them. They landed next to the Cow. The
Cow was busy eating corn, but noticed that the Eagle and the Turkey were
soon sitting on the ground next to her. “Welcome,” said the Cow. “Help
yourself to the corn.”

This took the two birds by surprise. They were not accustomed to having
other animals share their food quite so readily. “Why are you willing to
share your corn with us?” asked the Eagle. “Oh, we have plenty to eat here.
Mr. Farmer gives us all we want,” replied the Cow. With that invitation, the
Eagle and The Turkey jumped in and ate their fill. When they finished, the
Turkey asked more about Mr. Farmer. “Well,” said the Cow, “he grows all our
food. We don’t have to work for the food at all.”

“You mean,” said the Turkey, “that Mr. Farmer simply gives you all you want
to eat?” “That’s right,” said the Cow. “Not only that, but he gives us a
place to live.” The Turkey and the Eagle were shocked! They had never heard
of such a thing. They had always had to search for food and work for
shelter.

When it came time to leave, the Turkey and the Eagle began to discuss the
situation. “Maybe we should just stay here,” said the Turkey. “We can have
all the food we want without working. And that barn over there sure beats
those nests we have been building. Besides, I’m getting tired of always
having to work for a living.”

“I don’t know about all this,” said the Eagle. “It sounds too good to be
true. I find it hard to believe that one can get something for nothing.
Besides, I kinda like flying high and free through the air. And providing
for food and shelter isn’t so bad. In fact, I find it quite challenging.”

Well, the Turkey thought it over and decided to stay where there was free
food and shelter. But the Eagle decided that he loved his freedom too much
to give it up, and enjoyed the consistent challenge of making his own
living. So, after saying good-bye to his old friend the Turkey, the Eagle
set sail for the unknown adventure.

Everything went fine for the Turkey. He ate all he wanted. He never worked.
He grew fat and lazy. But then one day he heard the farmer’s wife mention
that Thanksgiving was coming in the next few days and it would be nice to
have roast turkey for dinner. Hearing that, the Turkey decided it was time
to check out and rejoin his good friend Mr. Eagle. But when he attempted to
fly he found that he had grown too fat and lazy. Instead of being able to
fly, he could only flutter. So on Thanksgiving Day the farmer’s family sat
down to roast Turkey.

Do not get eaten!!
Dimba Tabani Patrick
2009-11-30 08:33:49 UTC
Subject: [WestNileNet] Why Eagles fly and Turkeys are eaten
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 2:29 PM
[...]
The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted
them (including attachments if any). The List's Host is not
responsible for them in any way.
Goodstory.Thank you a milliontimes.ANGUZIRU AMA INGA YIVUA.AMA NDEKAI AMA INGA YIVUA.Your story recallvery important song