[WestNileNet] (Video) AS KAGAME MEETS TRUMP AT DEVOS
Hussein Amin
2018-01-26 15:04:32 UTC
Look at this press encounter between Paul Kagame of Rwanda/head of the
African Union and Donald Trump earlier today at the World Economic Forum.
It seemed cordial. But correct me if I'm wrong, we Africans have to stop
going to these meetings with a beggar mentality. Africa wants mutual
respect in partnerships particularly "Trade not Aid"? Frank discussions on
African economic interests like for example the future status of AGOA (the
Africa Growth Opportunity Act) with a view of further opening US markets
for "Made in Africa" products and resources. How many billions of dollars
in total will Africa have lost in investment, exports and tourism due to
Trump's derogatory comments? At the right time, the US president must be
honestly told certain important things even if they are disturbing. But
looking at the way the meeting started here, I am not sure the US president
will be told the true African concerns so that he doesn't repeat them or
worsen them.