THE FULL OFFICIAL BOTSWANA RESPONSE TO TRUMPS INSULTS AGAINST AFRICA.
Hussein Amin
2018-01-12 18:58:38 UTC
We might have our internal differences but when Africa is under attack we
stand as one.
----------------------------

BOTSWANA CONDEMNS REMARKS MADE BY PRESIDENT TRUMP

12 January 2018,

The Ministry of International Affairs & Cooperation wishes to inform the
public and the international community that the Government of Botswana,
today summoned the US Ambassador to Botswana to express its displeasure at
the alleged utterances made by the President of the US, Donald Trump, when
he referred to African countries and others as “shithole countries” during
a meeting with a bipartisan group of lawmakers at the White House on
Thursday 11 January 2018.

The Botswana Government has also enquired from the US Government through
the Ambassador, to clarify if Botswana is regarded as a “shithole” country
given that there are Botswana nationals residing in the US, and also that
some of Batswana may wish to visit the US.

The Government of Botswana is wondering why President Trump, must use this
descriptor and derogatory word, when talking about countries with whom the
US has had cordial and mutually beneficial bilateral relations for so many
years.

Botswana has accepted US citizens within her borders over the years and
continues to host US guests and senior government officials, including a
Congressional delegation that will come to Botswana at the end of this
month; that is why we view the utterances by the current American President
as highly irresponsible, reprehensible and racist.

Botswana calls on SADC, the African Union and all other progressive nations
across the world to strongly condemn the remarks made by President Trump.

Contact - Public Relations, Research and Information Department
Tel: (267) 3600700 <(267)%20360-0700> Fax: (267) 3913366 <(267)%20391-3366>
E-Mail: ***@gov.bw